Saturday, March 28, 2009

Letter to the Boston Tea Party Membership

Fellow Lovers of Liberty,

As many of you know I’m running for the open At-Large seat on the BTP Nat-Comm. Two of my main campaign issues are getting a functional BTP newsletter started and opening up the Albert Gallatin Institute. I know there has been some discussion of both these things but little has been done on getting them started. I’d like to get some action done on both, even if I don’t win a seat on the committee. Here are some of my ideas; feel free to committee on them and to add your ideas, that’s kind of what I’m trying to get started by writing this.

We need to find a state party with a bank account willing to take on the project of publishing a print newsletter. The newsletter needs an Executive Editor to oversee the entire project and at least two Contributing Editors to write additional material. I don’t know who would be willing to do one of these jobs but I think several people on the Nat-Comm might be fit to help with this project. Once we have an Executive Editor and a few Contributing Editors they can start on an email newsletter right away. I’m not really sure how often the newsletter should come out but I’m thinking a seasonal print one (with like a $10 fee) and a free monthly email one. The newsletter should have BTP news in it along with some editorials or something.

Steve Newton proposed the Albert Gallatin Institute last year, discussion on the project can be found at http://bostontea.us/node/446. If he would like to be its President (or Chairman) I think that would be great. But if he doesn’t we need to find someone with a high level of education (preferably a masters or higher) to lead the project. We should also find a few people with college educations willing to be fellows at the Institute. A Gallatin Institute website can be up pretty fast and studies/ papers can be published online there for the time being, but the ultimate goal of the Institute should be to publish an academic journal. People working for the Institute don’t have to be members of the party but they should at least agree with the platform.

I know we can find energetic people willing to work for liberty and help our party by doing one of the things above. I don’t currently have the education to be a fellow at the Gallatin Institute but I do have some limited Journalistic experience, so if we can’t find anyone else I could be a Contributing Editors for the newsletter. I’m going to work to organize a more formal youth caucus to spur those who cannot yet vote into activism after the election but I can take some time away from that to work on the newsletter.

That’s it for me right now, I hope I can get some impute from the committee and from the membership at large, so we can get some real work done. If I do get elected to the committee, I look forward to working with all of the committee’s members and with helping out all of our party’s other members. If I don’t I still would like to help on some of these projects.

Thanks,
Raymond Lady
Candidate for the Boston Tea Party National Committee

No comments:

Post a Comment